The Health Information Management (HIM) Clerk maintains records of patient care by compiling, reviewing and filing documentation of patient’s condition, treatment, and health outcome. The HIM Clerk reviews medical records for completeness, assembles records, locates and delivers records to designated areas.
- Files and retrieves medical records in accordance with established color-coded terminal digit filing systems.
- Compiles and reviews medical records for completeness and notifies providers of record deficiencies and tracks outstanding records.
- Maintains medical records operations by following policies and procedures.
- Maintains the confidentiality of medical records and safeguards them against unauthorized disclosure or access.
- Ensures medical records availability by routing records to requesting departments, providers, and other authorized personnel.
- Sorts, collates and files a variety of health information such as laboratory reports, pathology reports, radiology reports, operative reports, discharge summaries, and clinic notes into patient medical records.
- Utilizes computer for patient research to obtain medical record numbers, demographic information, and transaction history.
- Answers the telephone and take internal requests for medical records. Informs other callers regarding the release of information procedures.
- Ensures that confidential information is released after a HIPAA authorization form has been properly executed and signed.
- Retrieves medical records for appointments and walk-in patients.
- Pulls charts as needed for special audits, peer review, and other requests.
- Researches lost or missing records in accordance with established procedures.
- Files charts in permanent files.
- Assembles records according to standard chart order in a timely and orderly manner.
- Uses a manual tracking system to locate charts.
- Assembles/preps medical records for scanning of documents.
- Purges, archives, and stores inactive medical records in a long-term storage area and maintains a log of all inactive patient records that are stored to be used for future reference.
- Retains and preserves records of patients for a period of ten (10) years following the last date of treatment according to the MHC record retention policies.
- Destroys records after the retention period is over by shredding or burning or other effective methods in keeping with the confidential nature of the contents. (Destruction of records will be made in the ordinary course of business and no record shall be destroyed on an individual basis).
- Scans medical records into ICS.
- Performs other necessary duties as required by the health center to meet the goal of providing primary health care services.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- 6 months of clerical experience preferably in medical records.
- Familiarity with the HIPAA laws.
- Related courses in office or clerical subjects preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
Go to all jobs